Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Blog # 3

BLOG 3

I have never really thought about my experiences as a customer or my relationship with brands or companies, so it took some time for me to discern any meaningful experiences that I may have had as a customer. But the ones I was able to remember, I found it interesting how the thing that Professor Walls mentioned in class about how when a company gives value to a customer (through experiences etc.), the customer returns that value through more frequent purchases, positive word of mouth, etc., somewhat applied to me as a customer.

One of my most recent memorable experiences as a customer occurred at Jiffy Lube. It all happened when my car broke down, of all the places at a gasoline station due to the gas pump (ironically), so I ended up calling a number of stores (auto zone, other unknown shops) before calling Jiffy Lube, and was greatly disappointed by the customer service they offered which never bothered to go that extra mile in helping me out...Finally when I called Jiffy Lube (expecting no difference in service), one of the workers offered to go the extra mile and help pull the truck into the shop. With the surprise of my life I gratefully agreed and waited for my truck to be taken to the shop to be taken care of. Reflecting on this experience...I suppose that event made me feel...special. That value that I experienced was in fact reverted back in the form of more purchases (more oil changes), word of mouth (recommended friends with car troubles to Jiffy Lube), and favorable associations (while having negative ones to others like auto zone).

After this experience, I realized that more personal events have a bigger impact than just plain old advertisements (which are not as memorable...at least to me). However, in retrospect I do remember some ads or other experiences that were powerful. One that appeals to the senses, would obviously have to be Starbucks. The setting is perfect to make you wanna stay either to study or relax with friends and drink coffee. For me it feels almost like home or a good place to read and think about things (very convenient). The spatial setting of the tables, chairs, couches, and free wifi draws on students to drop by.



Of course not to mention the delcious products they offer that only add to the great experience at StarBucks!!



Advertisementwise, one ad that is always powerful is the one about the poor kids in Africa. I cannot recall the name exactly but I remember it clearly aiming for the audience's emotions. The sad pictures of the kids in poverty suffering everyday trying to survive,

 
was a powerful advertisement that inspired me to donate to the cause. The pictures were sad enough to make you melt in sadness....
A similar experience happened to me during class last semester when the Professor showed us a quick advertisement that was also asking for donations to help fix the cleft lips of kids in Africa. As the pictures were displayed slowly,



the Professor took the opportunity to talk about the hard lives that the kids had to deal with (on top of living in poverty) and the health risks that came with living with a cleft lip. Clearly appealing to the emotions, I was able to imagine and put myself in that kind of position (experience it). I pictured myself being made fun of, which is never fun, which the kids experienced such everyday (according to the Professor), so I ended donating in the end as well.

In breaking apart the experiences, I realize each has their own intended audience and purpose. For example, I thought it was amusing how the girls in class never understood (even disliked ha) the


under armour commercial of the professional athletes Professor Walls showed in class. With this in mind, the intended audience was obviously for guys (I understood it) or athletes. The slogan "for warriors" is only something athletes can understand when they stress their bodies to the limits. Anyway, going back to the first experience I recalled (Jiffy Lube), it was the excellent personal customer service that left me satisfied and loyal (value in return...). That experience is still burned in mind that I recommend anyone with car problems to Jiffy Lube. The last two ads, as already mentioned, appealed to the emotions, and not that I'm Mr. Sensitive-type of guy but it did move me enough to feel sad and help out in any way that I could (donation).

1 comment:

  1. Dorian,

    It is very enjoyable experience to read students' third post. Yours is one unique yet informative example. I am not sure whether the towing service is Jiffy Lube's official service policy. Even though the guy just randomly helped you out, the service is impressive enough to impact on customer experience. Like you listed, wow..outcomes are numerous: revisit intention, stronger purchase intention, WOM, and favorable brand attitude! If you analyzed your case based on SEM, it would have been even better post. Good job!

    ReplyDelete