Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Blog 2

Dorian Silva
Mkt 372
 
BLOG 2
After reading the chapter on the persona lifecycle and the Cohort Personas powerpoint, I realized that the main objective of the marketer is to pinpoint specific type of persons (also known as segmentation). But of course caution needs to be taken when approaching this because (as mentioned in class) narrowing too much the segment can possibly lead to pinpointing down to single persons' lifestyle that may not fit a good segment (might not be big enough), and may end up being too expensive and a waste of time.

Starting off, when segmenting a marketer needs the basic characteristics of the market like demographics to divide the people into homogenous groups to begin the STP process (segment the market, target a market, position among competition). That is, personal characteristics such as age, gender, race, income, etc. The marketer can also use more useful info like their activities, leisure, spending, and hobbies for behavioral characteristics and feelings, opinions, and interests for psychographic characteristics (though harder to get than demographics).

With this in mind, when creating a persona for me or people like, it helps me to think in terms of an actual person. That is, creating an actual person. I like to think that with all the people out there it might be possible to almost randomly pick any characteristics from demographics, behavioral, and psychographic (even if it sounds crazy), and come up with a market segment to target (invent) and position. I came about this way of thinking in that the word "persona" means "person" in latin.

A marketer can get a persona of me or of people like me easily (as a typical american anyways) following the STP process. Beginning with the demographics, a marketer can start the STP process by categorizing me in the age group of 21+ (21 to 25), male, hispanic, off-campus student, and somewhat a broke college student (I say somewhat because I got some generous aid from financial aid). As far as behavioral characteristics, I am a very active person. Some of the hobbies and activities I enjoy (and that might cue in on a insight) are exercising, reading, listening to music, playing sports, driving randomly to clear my head, art, etc. Problems that I can think of when doing such activities include dealing with traffic (driving from my apartment to campus),





dealing with too many people when exercising (for example when at the gym),



 and time constraints (eventually having to do some work, sleep, etc.)




Finally some attitudes, opinions, and beliefs that I possess include being a liberal, belief in god, and not taking myself or things too seriously. Finding a solution and positioning to my problems may be hard and possibly not exist (at least at first sight) since dealing with traffic and people are almost inevitable, though it just may not be obvious.

Finding a solution and position to my problems may be hard and possibly not exist, since dealing with traffic and people are almost inevitable, though it just may not be obvious as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment